13.9.11

Es Zieht

A note from me: This little snippet might be hard to follow, and natürlich, as happens when mixing two languages together, it is probably full of multiple grammatical errors and wierd ways of thinking. I've been highly fascinated by 'es zieht' ever since the moment I first learned it. I just really like messing with words and their meanings in general, so...enjoy! 

Es zieht. That means "There's a draft," but translates directly to "It pulls."
Although seemingly strange, this is quite logical if 'it' refers to the air.
~It pulls the door shut in my room.~
However, when not confined to the concept of wind, there are endless possibilities.
When examined from multiple identities, it pulls a lot in my life.
Well, actually... Alles zieht. (everything pulls).

Ballet pulled me- it was a good pull. That was my life, my love, my career of choice. Then my health (or lack thereof) pulled me from ballet. But I had other options and passions, so it was okay.  Now my Krankheit threatens to pull those from me, and it pulls hard. I can't study if I can't read, can't converse if I can't speak, can't write if I can't move. All very difficult for a language major.

Bicycles can make even a limited person feel light and free, fast, fun...edgy. I am so grateful that I discovered this. But I fear that I'll have to say goodbye to my bicycle. I wonder if one day (perhaps soon), I'll be forced to accept the confines of a different kind of bicycle. (Der Rollstuhl).

Above all, I fear that IT (the big it, my all-consuming it) will pull me down.  We don't know what it is. But we know that it pulls. And it stinks (wie Scheiße).

Tschüss,
Marta Frieda Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment