22.10.11

Wartime

35mm
We are different yet the same.
We both aim.
You fire, I frame.

Your eye is pressed against your scope.
My lens flashes as your soldier falls.

We have orders to hit head and chest.
You- literally.
Me- to provoke thought and strike that place we call the heart.
I strive to capture the desperation and send it to pretty home where it will
Blow up in their faces.

It is a blur of sights and sounds that I bring into focus.
You scurry about urgently, energetically, but your eyes are dull.
I know mine are too.
I see you glance at me.
We try to lift eachothers spirits, though distant, we are comrades.

A disturbance rushes through the ranks and we're off.
It’s a flurry of excitement but it’s all the same.
Dirty blood smeared across solemn faces. All to hear is painful, endless noise.

We share a few questions, a few fears:
When will it end?
Will I ever be the same?
But I have one that ticks through my mind all the time:
This camera in my hand; is it Dead or Alive?

Tschüss,
Marta Frieda Hart

2 comments:

  1. I really like what you have done comparing and contrasting the gun and camera. Maybe dont give it away so easily what you are talking about. I like where this is going and think that there is a lot of room to expand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey,
    Thanks for your critique. I tweaked it here and there and like where it is now. Thanks for contributing, I really like hearing what you have to say!!! Feel free to give me any more suggestions.

    Mit Freundlichen Grüßen,
    Marta Frieda Hart

    ReplyDelete